record sound on a Mac

Ken Norris (dialup) pixelbird at interisland.net
Fri May 10 02:28:01 EDT 2002

on 5/9/02 12:36 PM, Mark Talluto at fuegox at mac.com wrote:

> On Thursday, May 9, 2002, at 09:01  AM, use-revolution-
> request at lists.runrev.com wrote:
>
>>> There are some bugs in QuickTime 5 that are causing your grief.  Lets
>>> hope that QT 6 fixes them.  There are ways to get sound to record in,
>>> but it will not be reliable at this time.  I spent a lot of time
>>> working
>>> with them.
>> ----------
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> Bugs like what? I'm not experiencing any problems if things are set up
>> properly. Can you say precisely what your problems are? Maybe I can
>> help.
>>
>> Ken N.
>
> Hi Ken.  I regularly get a recording that is cut up.  For example:  If I
> record " test 1, test 2, test 3".
>
> The playback may be:  "test 2, test 3,...test 1"
>
> I reported it to MC and have been told that the problem is in QT 5.
> This has been confirmed at least on OS 10.1.4.  I have not tried this on
> a Win system yet.
----------
OK, you're talking about QuickTime. I don't think the original post on this
thread mentioned anything about QT, just about recording sound.

The things you're indicating aren't possible unless you have stitched sound
clips together. I don't see how QT could take one recorded clip, cut it up
in pieces, and rearrange it like that on its own. No one I know of has
experienced anything like this. What, exactly, do you mean by "cut up"? How
are you recording, i.e., what is the hardware configuration and hookups?
What software are you using to make the recording, and what type of file is
it?

The reason I ask is because just recently, someone on the HC list emailed me
some short sound clips he recorded from his TV with shareware called Coaster
1.0.6. I imported them to QT Pro and converted, then I put the sound file
titles in a clickable field. They call invisible movie windows which play
the clips. No problems with the sound.

If we are to track this down, we need more precise info about how you are
making the recording, and your procedures for moving into QT.

Hang in there, there is a reason for everything.

Best regards,
Ken N.