Scanning machines on a network

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Mar 12 17:21:01 EST 2002

On Monday, March 11, 2002, at 06:09 PM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:
> Here is a script to get your local IP address and store it in a field:

Thanks, Sarah.  I thought it would be something like that.

I haven't tried this on a multi-homed system, but it looks to me
that this approach allows implementers to account for a system with
multiple IP addresses.  This is a plus!

I realize that this might be the best that can be done with
Revolution.  However, there are a few things about this that bother
me:

1.
Some computers are not on the Internet, but are on some local
network.  Using some known internet site would not work.

2.
This depends on some known Internet site being up and the
connection to the Internet is up.

3.
I'm not sure what to think about the manners of connecting to
"yahoo.com".  Hmmm.  ;-)  Maybe the first line the the example
handler could be changed to this:

   put line 1 of hostnametoaddress("www.runrev.com")& ":80|testSocket" \
       into testSock

I've thought about connecting to the local computer (in the same
app) and then using hostAddress and peerAddress on both ends; maybe
one of those four will work.  I suspect not, but I'm so new to
Revolution, I wouldn't be surprised if one does work.

I _have_ tried opening with UDP which always succeeds, but
hostAddress returns 0.0.0.0 in that case.  (I'm using OS X.)

So...  Anybody have another method?

Dar Scott