Speaking text and highlighting speaking text

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Mon Mar 4 13:59:00 EST 2002

At 6:07 PM +0000 3/4/02, Glasgow, David wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>two questions:

[snip]

>2/ In some ways related, perhaps.  I have a psychological assessment
>that speaks the questions for people with a reading difficulty.  It
>speaks once automatically, and any additional number of times at the
>users request.  I highlight the whole sentence by colouring the text
>as the thing is read, and then it turns to black again.  Now, how
>would I highlight *words* as they are being read.  Like you get in
>Grandma and Me?  I have assumed that chopping up the Aiffs into
>words would be a silly way to go.  So perhaps I use QuickTime and
>colour/decolour words at particular points in the playback?  I know
>I could just experiment, but I am confident that someone out there
>must have tackled this previously.

Probably the easiest way to do this is to make your words a QuickTime
movie.  I don't know of any reliable *and* easy way to do this in
Revolution.  In QuickTime you could add a Text Track to your AIF file
and synchronize it that way.  All you need is QuickTime Pro and some
decent instructions.  See
<http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/tutorials/texttracks.html>
for starters.  If you really want to dig into it, get your hands on a
book called QuickTime for the Web, published by Apple Computer.

Devin
--
Devin Asay
Humanities Research Center