License Prices

David Vaughan drvaughan55 at mac.com
Thu Jun 6 23:32:00 EDT 2002

On Friday, June 7, 2002, at 11:33 , Judy Perry wrote:

> Okay, my brain is blotto from reviewing ~150 student HC projects in 2
> days, so, forgive me, but I am not understanding your point about giving
> Rev room to move (which I think they've moved in the right directions
> over
> time).  Maybe one too many negatives in one sentence (non-zero, .. can
> not
> be argued ... are not giving...)  @;-)
>
> Judy
> On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, David Vaughan wrote:
>
>> Of course, recent correspondence on The Sins of Apple defined an unreal
>> cost of HyperCard as non-zero, so it can not be argued that we are not
>> giving Rev some room to move...
Sorry, Judy. An explanation of my little joke herewith:
1. I found it amusing that for a couple of days we had extensive
argument that Apple had completely bungled by ever charging for HC at
all, followed by a thread item which effectively said that $99 was
absurdly cheap. I found it an interesting contrast; a
view-by-circumstance, perhaps. This leads to...
2. A deliberate double-negative to suggest that those who want Rev to be
cheaper might think themselves very sweet to allow Rev to charge for
their product at all.
Obviously, the latter comment was intended as strongly ironic. I made no
criticism of Rev or Metacard at all, although of course I would love
everything to be cheaper, from chocolates to Porsches.

I promise to be less arcane next time. I'm just thankful it is you
checking all those projects and not me. Perhaps we could write for you a
"script complexity analyser" in Rev. Then you could automatically give
low marks to those whose scripts are either very simple (didn't do
enough work) or very complex (don't understand what they're doing) and
you need only review the rest  :-)

cheers
David