OS X Server; standalones as OS X services

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Jul 12 01:11:01 EDT 2002

On Thursday, July 11, 2002, at 07:54 PM, Bill Vlahos wrote:

>>> 1. There is a built-in application called WatchDog which can be
>>> configured to autorestart an application if it should crash
>>> thereby assuring that your program would always be running. This
>>> would be similar to running as a service under Windows for all
>>> practical purposes.
>> Will this start it the first time, that is, at boot?  Is this on
>> regular ol OS X, too?
> To have any application autostart at boot simply add it to the
> Login Items in the System Preferences either by clicking the
> Add... button and selecting the file (either application or
> document) or, even easier, just drag the file icon to the Login
> Items window. This works with any version of OS X. For the geeks
> among us, this actually edits the file in the
> /User/Library/Preference/loginwindow.plist file which is an XML
> file. I haven't looked to see if WatchDog does this automatically
> but it might.

I found this info on startup items:
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Darwin/PortingUNIX/additionalfeatures/
Boot_Sequence.html

This looks like applies to all OS X and does not require login.

I wonder if there is a tool that helps in creating and editing
items in /library/startupItems.

Dar Scott