Coerce number into numberFormatted integer--How?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Jul 10 11:52:01 EDT 2002

On 7/10/02 1:58 AM, Sivakatirswami <katir at hindu.org> wrote:

> But how to coerce the simple integer that
> is not a result of math into the dollar format... I *can* just "fake" a
> calculation put (1*tShipping) into tShipping. And that works, but, hoping
> not to have to be doing that in the long term,

Numberformat only operates on the result of a calculation, and some type
of math is required before numberformat will kick in. That's how
HyperCard works too.

Sometimes it is necessary to force a fake calculation, for example when
formatting numbers typed into a field ("add 0 to me" in a closefield
handler), but most of the time there is usually some kind of calculation
going on in the script anyway; the secret is just to place the
numberformat command before any of the calculations happen. Sometimes
just placing the numberformat instruction at the top of the handler is
all it takes.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com