Downloading a MAC file

Marcus Bointon marcus at synchromedia.co.uk
Thu Jan 31 17:43:02 EST 2002

on 31/1/2002 9:21 pm, Dan Friedman at dan at clearvisiontech.com wrote:

> In my application, I want to include a "Check for Updates Online..." option
> (much like that in Revolution).  If I release a new version of my
> application, my users can get it easily.
>
> Here's the problem.  If I post a file with a resource fork, like an
> application created by the "Distribution Builder", the resource fork is not
> going to be present anymore and the download will not function.  So...
>
> Do I do some kind of compression first?  If so, what would I use so that
> Revolution will be able to uncompress it?

If it's to be downloaded, then compression is a good idea anyway.
Safest/easiest way is to do a custom version check within your Rev app that
opens a direct http connection to your server where it can find if a new
version is available (e.g. Download a text file that contains a string of
the latest version number), then hand off downloading to their web browser
(openURL/GetURL or whatever). For a Mac you should stuff and
binhex/macbinary the file. All current web browsers will decode binhex and
macbinary, so you could even make it a self extractor.

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
Synchromedia Limited: Putting you in the picture

marcus at synchromedia.co.uk | http://www.synchromedia.co.uk