Basic Question: Text Field wrapping

Kevin Miller kevin at runrev.com
Wed Jan 30 13:10:01 EST 2002

On 30/1/02 5:18 pm, Brent Neal <brent at baton.phys.lsu.edu> wrote:

>> Only if you're developing it for monkeys or people with keyboards that
>> have no spacebars.  I can't think of any reasonable need for this
>> "feature" otherwise.  If a word needs to break in the middle, even a
>> "moderately-featured" editor is going to have to hyphenate, or have
>> the user do it manually, rather than just break the word anywhere.
>
> Or if you're editing non-natural language text streams. Don't think
> "words".  Again, see SimpleText (a "moderately-featured" editor) for
> how its supposed to work. BBEdit (a *very* well featured editor) also
> does this correctly if you have Soft Wrap turned on. OS X TextEdit (A
> Cocoa app) behaves correctly.  That implies to me that this behavior
> should come for free with TE/WASTE (pre-X) or the Cocoa text
> rendering system.  Further, REALBasic (version 3.5.1 on Mac OS X)
> text fields also behave properly.

Indeed, as we are planning full support for all character sets this feature
does fit in as one that will be needed as part of that package of
enhancements.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin Miller <kevin at runrev.com> <http://www.runrev.com/>
Runtime Revolution Limited - Power to the Developer!
Tel: +44 (0) 870 747 1165.  Fax: +44 (0)1639 830 707.