Basic Question: Text Field wrapping

Brent Neal brent at baton.phys.lsu.edu
Wed Jan 30 12:21:01 EST 2002

At 9:36 -0700 1/30/02, Scott Raney wrote:
>Only if you're developing it for monkeys or people with keyboards that
>have no spacebars.  I can't think of any reasonable need for this
>"feature" otherwise.  If a word needs to break in the middle, even a
>"moderately-featured" editor is going to have to hyphenate, or have
>the user do it manually, rather than just break the word anywhere.

Or if you're editing non-natural language text streams. Don't think
"words".  Again, see SimpleText (a "moderately-featured" editor) for
how its supposed to work. BBEdit (a *very* well featured editor) also
does this correctly if you have Soft Wrap turned on. OS X TextEdit (A
Cocoa app) behaves correctly.  That implies to me that this behavior
should come for free with TE/WASTE (pre-X) or the Cocoa text
rendering system.  Further, REALBasic (version 3.5.1 on Mac OS X)
text fields also behave properly.

At 9:36 -0700 1/30/02, Scott Raney wrote:
>  Your odds of getting this feature implemented are pretty
>much dependent on couching your request in these terms.
>   Regards,
>     Scott

A Mac user will expect an editor to behave similarly to one of the
above three programs. A Unix user used to NEdit or jEdit (not to
mention vi or emacs!) will expect the same behavior. I really don't
care about Windows users, but my guess is that if jEdit and NEdit act
like this, then the basic editors (Notepad?) on Windows do as well.

  I think those are pretty compelling reasons to fix this behavior. I
was pretty disappointed when I ran up against this limitation. I'm
fairly sure it wasn't a problem in HyperCard, since the text fields
in HC used the Toolbox TE, but its been 8 years since I've done any
HC development.

Brent
--
Brent Neal