Is it soup yet?

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Thu Jan 10 18:42:01 EST 2002

Hello RR list,

I just downloaded 1.1 because of the warning about the beta of 1.1.1. at the
website. However, according to many of the recent posts I've been reading,
it (1.1.1 beta) appears to have much fewer bugs than 1.1. So, I'm thinking I
should have DL'd the 1.1.1 beta.

Should I go ahead and trash 1.1 and DL 1.1.1 beta instead, and go ahead and
use it for development? I'm just beginning with RR, but I've been using HC
2.4.1 for some time, and want to transfer the shells and rebuild the color
with appropriate handler changes, etc.

What say ye?

Please note, I'm a bit intimidated by all the palettes, menu options, etc. I
expect I'll be getting lost quite often for a while, so please be patient
with 'dumb' questions. I'll be developing on a Mac. My goal with much of the
software is to keep it simple and memory efficient enough to run on older
machines, so impaired folks on fixed incomes can afford to use them.

There are several things I need to know about RR:

1) Can I use it to control X-10 devices? Anything done with this type of
thing yet?

2) I want to use it to send and receive text-only (for now, e.g., no
attachments or graphics) eMail using something simple, like Claris. Or is it
possible to build my own emailer with RR itself? How about this?

3) I need to develop full speech feedback for the vision impaired. I know
this will need to be handled differently on each platform, but that's OK.
Anyone done such a thing? Are there examples for PC's (I know relatively
little about P.C.'s or Windows)?

I'm quite excited about joining the group, using RR, et.al., and hope it's
as friendly and helpful as the HC group.

Thanks, and best regards
Ken N.