Return all paths, recursively to deepest level

David Vaughan drvaughan55 at mac.com
Sun Feb 24 04:05:01 EST 2002

Ken

Coincidentally, I had just stared writing a recursive directory walker
when Siva asked for one and you supplied. Very timely, thanks.
I noticed, however, that you use the construct "the directories" which
proves to be a synonym for "the folders" which is the function returned
if you search the Transcript Dictionary for "directories" or "folders".

What other synonyms exist in Transcript and where are they documented?
Are synonyms deprecated?

Incidentally, below is my refinement of your code to remove redundancies
(presumably from something else you were doing) and increase speed.

regards
David

global gHierList

on mouseUp
   put empty into gHierList
  -- put empty into field 1
   answer folder "Pick a folder you want to walk:"
   if it is empty then exit mouseUp
   -- put it into defFold
   directoryWalk it
   sort gHierList
   put gHierList into field 1
   -- set the defaultFolder to defFold
end mouseUp

on directoryWalk whatFolder
   set the defaultFolder to whatFolder
   put the files into temp
   repeat for each line x in temp
     put whatFolder & "/" & x & return after gHierList
   end repeat
   put the folders into tDirList
   repeat with x =  2 to the number of lines of tDirList
     directoryWalk (whatFolder & "/" & (line x of tDirList))
   end repeat
end directoryWalk