CompileIt! was cool

JohnRule at aol.com JohnRule at aol.com
Sat Feb 23 10:35:01 EST 2002

<< I got to thinking how much CompileIt helped me to expand my
<< HyperTalk applications' capabilities

That's funny, I just 'resurrected' my copy of CompileIt! yesterday. I started
going through some of the xcmds and xfcns I wrote (MidiToolz), and I realized
what a powerful compiler that was. You have direct access to the 'OS
toolbox', which gave me the capabilities to integrate the Apple Midi Manager
(kind of obsolete now, but it still works!). It was not cross-platform
though.

Did you know they also had a stand-alone builder? It was called DoubleXX. You
could take all of the externals you made, and stick them in a
double-clickable application. I believe Heizer software was purchased by
another company called Royal Software...Ro Nagey, are you on this list?

Which brings me to a question...how do we get xcmds to work in Revolution? Do
I really need to recompile them? I cannot get any of my custom externals to
work at all (do they need to be 'ResEdited' into Revolution?). I cannot find
documentation on this...

Royal software also had a cool application called LiveCard that would serve
your Hypercard 'stacks' to the web...why can't we do this?

<< I would be willing to pay a separate license fee for a tool that would
<< allow me to create externals scripted in Transcript

Revolution has 'most' of the functionality that I need, but I would also pay
for a CompileIt! type of application for Revolution. Here are a few features
that something like this could give you access to:

USB
FireWire
MIDI capabilities
Video recording
Direct graphics (transparencies, 3D, etc).
Direct OS manipulation/communication.

  Sorry Kevin (and 'the crew'), I didn't mean to 'open a can of worms' here,
but I would love to use my MidiToolz in Revolution (I am talking about system
exclusive saving/sending and device control...not just playing some midi
files). I guess I can always keep a computer with OS 8.6 and HyperCard
hanging around to control my studio, but I would rather use RunRev.

JR