Dictionary crash.

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Feb 10 15:24:01 EST 2002

Ken Norris (dialup)" <pixelbird at interisland.net> wrote:

> I heard recently that on MacOS it is sometimes detrimental to allocate
> too much RAM to MC/Rev. Maybe I'll take it back down a notch and see
> what happens.
----------
Under what conditions would this be so?

I think under conditions of low installed memory or low system memory
(like when a lot of apps are open, which was what I had.) The engine
automatically pulls from system memory when there isn't enough RAM
allotment in the Get Info box. If there is little system memory
available, the app can't get what it needs. Assigning a smaller amount
of RAM to the engine in the Get Info box allows a larger system heap, so
the engine can pull from it when it needs to. There are a few
exceptions, the only one of which I remember now is heavy QuickTime
usage. (I think another one is lots of small graphics, but I'm fuzzy on
that now.) In that case you'd want a higher assignment to the application.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com