How to find the "blessed folder"

Ian Summerfield iansummerfield at btconnect.com
Sat Feb 9 19:15:01 EST 2002

On 9/2/02 5:44 pm, "yves COPPE" <yvescoppe at skynet.be> scribed:

>> Use Mac OS 9 (or even Mac OS X).  I want to create a preferences file for my
>> application.   I don't really want to put it in the default folder as that
>> isn't very Mac like.   How can I find the path to the proper blessed System
>> Folder?  I have multiple hard drives, so the answers isn't to take the root
>> of the default folder and append "System Folder:Preferences"!  That wouldn't
>> work in every European language anyway.   I'm sure there was an applescript
>> command for it, but I can't find it in the reference guide.
>>
> In the transcript dictionary, look at the "specialfolderpath".
> It answers just what you need
> --
> Greetings.
>
> Yves COPPE

Thank you,  if the Revolution guys are reading this, I think the Transcript
dictionaries "Find" command at the top of the window needs major
improvements!  I entered "System Folder" and pressed return and it just
beeped,  even though it's on that card!  Am I not using it correctly?  I
just tried command-F to do the find too,  that didn't find it either.  How
should I be looking this stuff up?