Using other languages (Java, Perl, Python, etc) in Rev

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto jeanne at runrev.com
Wed Feb 6 20:29:58 EST 2002

At 4:46 PM -0800 2/5/2002, Jim Witte wrote:
>   Is there any way to extend the scripting architecture of Revolution to
>support completely different languages than Transcript, specifically
>bytecode languages like Java, Perl (at least P6 based on Parrot), and
>maybe Python (I'm not sure if it's bytecode based)?

You can run scripts in other languages (using shell or launch). And on
Macs, Revolution supports OSA, so you can run scripts written in any OSA
language (AppleScript, Frontier, Perl, Javascript, there may be others)
from within your application without starting up an interpreter.

However, if you're asking whether there's a way to plug in other languages
so they can use Rev's built-in commands, directly manipulate objects, and
so on, no, there isn't.

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto ~ jeanne at runrev.com
http://www.runrev.com/
Runtime Revolution Limited - Power to the Developer!