Tutorials

manuel companys mcompanys at mac.com
Thu Dec 26 09:35:01 EST 2002

Le Wednesday, 25 Dec 2002, à 12:10 US/Central, Gernot Lorenz a écrit :

> Am Montag, 23.12.02 um 15:11 Uhr schrieb Andre Rombauts:
>
>> I’ve been learning Rev for several months but to really go ‘inside’ I
>> would need an ‘in-depth-tutorial’. This is quite different from all
>> othe programing environment I used in the past (Basic, Visual Basic,
>> Pascal – I’m just a 50 y old teacher who started with computer in the
>> 80’). How to organize stacks, to use externals and plugins (not
>> really sure to understand the difference), etc. Revolution is so
>> ‘huge’... Will we get a good tutorial book?...
>>
>> André
>

> Dear Andrè,
> I'm nearly in the same situation like You (I used in the past (Basic,
> Visual Basic, Pascal – I’m just a 50 y old teacher who started with
> computer in the 80’) with the difference that I'am an experienced User
> of Hypercardt - the anchestor of MetaCard and Revolution - which only
> exists for MacOS. But now, with platform-independent MetaCard and/or
> Revolution (which are nearly the ssame)  I have a tool which fits
> better to our school's situation (we have a MacOS computer lab and a
> Windows computer lab). My pupils are beginners in programming, about
> 16 years old, and there is absolutely no book about MetaCard or
> Revolution for them , even not an English one (I need one in German).
> For Hypercard, , there were enough good books (also in German
> language), but Hypercard is to much different.
> What to do ?
> During  the last  three months I began myself to make a suitable book
> (or booklet) for learning programming (rather than
> multimedia-authoring) with MetaCard and Revolution, which will be used
> as a book for beginners or pupils.
> Like You I would like to have additionally an ‘in-depth-tutorial’ to
> avoid many experiments, but there is nothing on the market.
> But nevertheless I am interested in what You are doing with Your
> pupils ?
> What would You expect from school-book for beginners ?
> I would be glad to hear from You something about working with
> Metacard/Revolution in school.
>
> Gernot

My case is more like Gernot's; except that I am much older and I used
HyperCard not to teach how to program but to teach languages and
linguistics., I have written a lot of HC "didacticiels" as we say in
french: general phonetics; japaneese tons; german verbs; tamil scripts;
russian text comprehension; spanish; french; quizz in general
linguistics; language performance level ... and so on. This also means
that I came accross special character and keyboard problems: fonts;
accents, KCHR resources; etc.

Now I am retired and struggling for trying to port some of theese
HyperCard Stacks to R-R, I guess I am likely to get more benefits from
your help than the other way around. But maybe some of the tricks I
found out could be useful to you as well.