Avoiding mouse polls

David Vaughan dvk at dvkconsult.com.au
Sun Dec 15 00:37:01 EST 2002

On Sunday, Dec 15, 2002, at 15:32 Australia/Sydney, Ken Norris (dialup)
wrote:

>> From: Cubist at aol.com
>> Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 15:47:04 EST
>> Subject: re: Avoiding mouse polls
>
>> In MC/Rev, you can do something like this:
>>
>> # in card script
>> local ListHilite,HiliteNumber,StackState
>> # "ListHilite" is a comma-delim. list of the items that get hilited
>> # "HiliteNumber" is the number of the list-item that was most
>> recently hilited
>> # "StackState" contains a string which lets you control what's going
>> on
>>

> Ohhhh, goodie! I'm such a RR newbie...I was going to suggest maybe
> some kind
> of idle thing. This is the _key_ thing I was looking for in RR, but
> didn't
> know what it was:
>  if StackState = "idle" then send "CycleHilite" to me in 1 second
> Let me look this (StackState) up on the other machine (accessing the
> RR docs
> in this old PB is painfully slow, sometimes causes crashes) tomorrow.

Umm...Ken, you won't find "StackState" in the docs. It is a local
variable Cubist happened to declare to use to monitor status.

> I see. I didn't know about StackState. WunnerfulThing that. Every one
> kept
> telling me things that wouldn't work with a repeat loop,

No, we were telling you not to use a repeat loop at all....and don't
use idle either. Unless you have taken in Dar's latest example, you
haven't "got it" yet. I am trusting this latest flurry will help.

regards
David