progress bar stalls

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Aug 30 16:02:01 EDT 2002

Brad Allen wrote:

> I'm using a progressbar to provide the user a sense the the script is
> progressing, but it's not as smooth as I would like, due to a lack of
> multithreading in the script. In fact, script execution (and
> therefore the progressbar) completely stops moving while waiting for
> certain commands to execute, such as DOS shell commands or do
> Applescript commands.
>
> I tried using the "send" command to trigger delayed messages to my
> updateProgressMessage handler, but these delayed send messages were
> for some reason held up while the shell command was executing.
>
> --  send "updateProgressMessage " & quote & "Please wait.
> Generating report......" & quote & ",55" to this stack in 60 seconds
>
> Any ideas on this? Thanks...

The "send in..." option simply sends the message after the specified time
has elapsed, BUT it doesn't interrupt executing scripts to do so.  In this
sence, Rev does not attempt to be truly threaded, merely convenient. :)

If your script hangs while waiting for a lengthy synchronous process, I
wonder if there's a way to make the process asynchrnous.

Post the snippets that are hanging and maybe one of us has an asynch
alternative.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation