is the value of CR really platform dependant?

Kee Nethery kee at kagi.com
Fri Aug 30 12:46:00 EDT 2002

>The following is true on all platforms:
>
>You can read as text or binary.  Text mode converts line endings, binary
>leaves everything as it is natively.
>
>As text:
>
>   open file tMyFile for read
>   - OR -
>   open file tMyFile for text read
>   - OR -
>   put url ("file:"&tMyFile) into tMyData
>
>As binary:
>
>   open file tMyFile for binary read
>   - OR -
>   put url ("binfile:"&tMyFile) into tMyData
>
>If you read in text mode, the line endings are handled for you automatically
>on all platforms.
>
>The reverse is also true: when writing to a file, text mode changes line
>endings to whatever form is customary on the machine it's being run on.

But I'm not reading text files, I'm getting data via a network
connection and I need to manually alter the line endings to display
correctly within Revolution text fields.

Is CR a real constant that varies by platform or do I need to convert
the text I receive from the database according to the platform my
stack is running on?

Thanks, Kee