global variables

David Vaughan drvaughan55 at mac.com
Mon Aug 26 22:07:01 EDT 2002

On Tuesday, August 27, 2002, at 12:52 , Rob Cozens wrote:

>>> The global keyword is adopted from HyperCard 1.0, and has been a part
>>> of all
>>> xTalk implementation since.  How else would the engine know whether
>>> to treat
>>> a variable as local or global without such a keyword?
>>
>> Presumably it would maintain a list and then every time you used a
>> variable, it would have to check to see if it was in the list.  But
>> once you added a variable to the list, you would never have to add it
>> again, which would be a nice feature.
>
> Whoa Mark,
>
> That would mean every time one wrote a handler one would have to check
> EVERY local variable name to make sure it was not on the global list.
> This would include handlers in other people's stacks as well as your
> own.
>
> As an aside, just as Revolution has less need to use externals than
> HyperCard, it also has less need to use global variables.  One can
> define local variables that are shared by all handlers in a script and
> whose values persist until the stack is closed.

...and that is the key: declaring global or local variables at the top
of scripts rather than in handlers. It was one of the immediate changes
I made to HyperCard-patterns of scripting. Better yet, I basically never
use globals anyway. On the occasions a local declaration will not serve,
I prefer a custom property (of any suitable object). It is globally
accessible, persistent and non-conflicting with other variable naming.

regards
David