obtain file version info under Windows

Brad Allen BradAllen at mac.com
Mon Aug 26 13:11:01 EDT 2002

I'm working on a Rev stack to inventory software on client computers
at work and dump the results on an FTP server.  On the Mac side, I
just generate a report from the Apple System Profiler, but on Windows
PCs I'm using the DOS "dir /S" command to collect all the filenames
on each local filesystem. Unfortunately, the "dir" command doesn't
collect the version information for application files; all I can get
are filenames, modification dates, and filesizes. I'm trying to get
the version of files like winword.exe.