Popup menu buttons

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Thu Aug 22 14:08:00 EDT 2002

In a moment of cluelessness I wrote:

>In HyperCard it is possible to create a Popup style button and to set
>the width for the button name to show alongside the list that pops
>up. When an item is selected from the popup list, it appears in the
>space next to the button name. Can you do the same thing with one of
>Rev's menu style buttons? I have looked at them all, but can't see
>one that lets you show the button's name along with the selected line
>of the button, something like this:
>
>    Choose Color: > | Yellow
>
>Does Rev not allow this, or am I missing something?
>
>Devin

Okay, I found it. In HC you could create a popup style button, then
in edit mode you could grab the left edge of the button and drag
toward the center. This would create a title area on the left side of
the button that displayed the button name.

In Rev there is no such analogous trick, but it does support the
titleWidth property (same as in HC, but I always just used the
dragging trick). If you set the titleWidth to > 0 the same magic
title area will appear on the left side of the button. This shows the
NAME of the button as the title, not the label. The showName property
has to be set to true for this to work.

Devin
--
Devin Asay