location 'math'

Tony Moller tony.moller at drcs.com
Tue Aug 20 14:26:01 EDT 2002

on 8/20/02 3:04 PM, Dar Scott at dsc at swcp.com wrote:

> The location of a stack it at its center and is relative to the
> upper left corner of the screen (+ numbers going down and right).
> You will need to consider the width and height.
>
> For example...  If you want the palette to be to the left of the
> main stack, set the first item of its location to be that of the
> main stack less half the width of the main stack, less the space
> you want between, less half the width of the palette.
>
> For example... If you want the tops to align, set the second item
> of its location to the that of the main stack less half the height
> of the main stack plus half the height of the palette.

I understand the concept, and that locations are referenced as the center of
a stack object. What I need to know is the actual syntax. When you get the
location of something, its returned as "200,300". How do you subtract 150
from the 300 part of that returned value?

Specific example: I want to set the palette's location on the left side of
the main stack, aligned at the top. I need to set the palette's location as
(-150,-120) relative to the main stack. So, I get the location of the main
stack; say its currently at "400,600". Now what's the actual syntax of the
set location command for the palette?

Tony
Tony Moller - Network Admin
DRCS