Problems with Sounds

Klaus Major klaus.major at metascape.org
Tue Aug 20 03:23:01 EDT 2002

Hi Judy,

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get a rev stack to play an aif file.  First I tried this:
>
>   play "/Users/judy/Documents/HPGame/Sounds/TrainPassing.wav"
>
> What I get is a static burst and nothing else. (Got the path by using
> the
> Terminal app in Mac OSX and getting to the directory and then using the
> pwd command to get the correct directory).
>
> Next I used SoundEdit to embed the sound as a resource within the stack;
> then used this rev command:
>
>   play audioclip "TrainPassing.wav" looping
>
> Got ongoing static.
> I Have tried aifs, wavs and QTMovs.  I know the sound file is valid
> because it plays using other apps.  What obvious thing am I missing?
> Many kind thanks,
>
> Judy Perry

did you check the samplerate of these sounds ?

I remember there was some trouble playing sounds in MC/RR
when they did not have the right samplerate...

They should be:

44.1 khz
22.05 khz
11.025 khz etc... (always the exact half...)

Sampledepth (8 or 16 bit) shouldn't matter...

(Other apps may be more tolerant in playing sounds...)

Hope this helps...

Regards

Klaus Major
klaus.major at metascape.org