HyperCard and Rev [was: Hobbyist License]

Dan Shafer dan at danshafer.com
Sun Aug 18 18:25:00 EDT 2002

At 4:54 PM -0400 8/18/02, David Glasgow wrote:
>In a message dated 16/8/02 6:02:08 PM,
>use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com Dan Shafer <dan at danshafer.com> writes:
>
><< -- HC3 was going to use QuickTime movies as its
>native format rather than the proprietary HC file format. But they
>couldn't get anything resembling reasonable performance out of data
>stored in QT formats >>
>
>So that was the reason, was it?  This is the first time I have heard a
>plausible explanation other than Macromedia threatened to have a blue fit if
>Apple pulled the rug out from under them.  Which explanation rather implies
>that the project was, technically speaking viable.  Didn't a bunch of
>developers get to see HC as a QT layer?

I believe that is true, yes. It was, actually, a brilliant idea. QT
is perhaps Apple's best technology, period. And they've worked hard
to make it a viable standard on the Net and across platforms.

There could be some measure of truth to the Macromedia story; I know
that a lot of Apple's sales are driven by Macromedia. But then
Macromedia doesn't always do the right thing, either (where, oh
where, are OS X versions of their apps?).
--
Dan Shafer