modal command - and subsequent dialog placement.

Klaus Major k_major at os.surf2000.de
Mon Aug 5 11:14:01 EDT 2002

HI Phil,

> Hi folks,
> I'm developing a system which needs to pop up the equivalent of a modal
> dialog box that contains a QuickTime movie - in the form of a guide who
> tells you what to do next. Originally I tried a simple stack window
> with minimal ornaments, but  found that users could click while the
> movie was playing and do silly stuff like get the movie window to move
> into the background, or their clicks were buffered and passed on later
> (even though I've used flushevents etc.). Using modal seems like the
> ideal solution, except it puts the window in the centre of the screen,
> when I want it top-left (otherwise the guide gets in the way of what
> she's describing). I can move the window myself, but only once it's up,
> and even setting lockscreen to true doesn't stop it appearing in the
> centre, before it repositions itself. Can anyone think of a solution to
> this? I've got a couple more situations where it seems to me modal
> dialogs are the answer, but I don't want them to be centred either. Is
> there by any chance some undocumented parameter to modal that allows
> you to say where the window ought to go? Anyone know where the code to
> modal is stored - maybe I can make my own version of it?
>
> -- Phil Jimmieson

put this into the script of your "modal"-stack(s):

on preopenstack
   set the topleft of me to 0,24
## will put this stack on the left side of the screen
## and 24 pixel from the top of the screen BEFORE it is opened
## You can take other values, of course, if needed
end preopenstack

that's all..

works here, should work for you, too :-)

Regards

Klaus Major
k_major at os.surf2000.de