Open driver?

Sarah sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Sun Apr 28 22:30:01 EDT 2002

> I have fiddled a bit with OS X because the docs say that "On OS X and
> Unix systems, you can obtain a list of available devices by reading the
> file "/dev/tty"." but I can't find such a file, or even a "dev/"
> directory. Any additional info would be helpful because I feel a bit
> lost.

This I can help with: you're going to have to use Terminal as dev is one
of those hidden directories where Unix keeps it's secret system stuff.

Open Terminal and type "cd /dev", press Return or Enter.
Now type "tty" & press return/Enter.
In my case, I only have one entry which is "/dev/ttyp1" - I presume this
is the internal modem.

However, this information doesn't help much as there seems to be no
valid way to open this port. Every attempt returns "Can't open that
file." which is supposed to be the error message if the driver doesn't
exist. I have tried "open driver" & "open file".

My interest is in serial communications to various scientific
instruments. I have done this on Mac OS 9.x with the commands for the
"modem:" & "printer:" keywords, but not on OS X. If anyone has managed
to open any port using OS X, I'd really like to hear about it.

Sarah