Card Size

Dreamscape Software webmaster at dreamscapesoftware.com
Fri Apr 26 12:10:01 EDT 2002

> I would like to hear the advice of members of this list on what the
> preferred card size is for viewing on screen.  I have been using 640 x
> 480 as the standard but this seems to waste a lot of real estate on the
> monitor.  I would like to move to a larger size but does this mean that I
> will be eliminating many potential users of the stacks that I develop?
> Any assistance with this problem would be appreciated.

My job is to convert Photoshop Documents to Web Pages, and one thing we
definately did was choose a screen resolution that we felt would be the
minimum for web pages.  All of the pages that I code are developed to look
fine on an 800X600 Resolution monitor.  I also try to write the pages so
they will look good on any sized monitor or bigger.

You have to consider is your audience.  If your looking to make some sort of
educational multimedia project, then you might want to consider targeting
the older computers.  Yes, they're very outdated, but a lot of schools are
still using Macintosh Centris 650's (I know this for a fact).  For that type
of audience it might be good idea to use 640X480.

Now if your going some other route, like something that requires a lot out
of the user, then you might just assume that the user is going to have a
relatively good setup, and will be able to handle 1024X768.

It all depends on what your target audience is.

Derek Bump
Dreamscape Software, Inc.
http://www.dreamscapesoftware.com/