realbasic or runrev?

Sarah sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Tue Apr 23 18:53:01 EDT 2002

Such a query usually produces a flood of emails, but I'll stick my neck
out at this stage having been in the same position recently.

For creating the various displays (windows in RB, stacks or cards in
Rev), the 2 are very similar. RB provides guidelines to fit with Apple's
Human Interface rules, Rev doesn't.

Like you, I found that having to pre-define and type all variables was
extremely annoying in RB. It may make a slight difference in final
performance but it will lengthen your development time.

Where Rev (& any *card) shines is text manipulation. RB has the
conventional MID, RIGHT, LEFT, INSTR type syntax although it has a
useful function called NthField. Rev has extremely flexible and fast
text chunking so that you can do things like:
	get word 2 of item 4 of line 76 of field "Data List"
	sort lines of fld "Addresses" by item 4 of each
and so on.

The RB listBox is good and Rev does not currently have an exact
equivalent. It has scrolling list fields, but although these can have
tab-separated columns, text too wide to fit in it's column will
overflow, pushing the rest of that line over by an extra tab. There are
work-arounds for this and a real Table object is supposedly on the way.

Rev has database support too, but in most cases it is unnecessary. Store
your data in fields on a data stack and you will easily be able to
access it, save it, print or or whatever you need. Rev doesn't have the
built-in support for MS Office, but any data can be exported to a text
file and imported into any spreadsheet or word-processor.

Download the Starter Kit and try a sub-section of your app. People here
are always ready to help with any scripting questions you might have.

Cheers,
Sarah