'hack' test results

David Kwinter dk42 at mac.com
Sun Apr 21 02:34:01 EDT 2002

I'm wondering if there any specific security concerns with respect to
communication using sockets. In my program I have a basic math algorithm
that scrambles a username/password in different ways, each expiring
after use. Without this the server ignores requests received. Is this
justified, could these messages be intercepted? Another technique which
I question the security of is the possibility for someone being able to
fudge someone else's ip in the format 24.255.255.0|775158599 in a
request (which I also look for to validate them).

As far as I can tell the authentication seems solid, but any bug could
be disastrous.

Also, is there a way to ignore IP's at any level above the RunRev
environment? (to prevent flooding)

Thanks for any input, and I apologize if I've overlooked this topic
earlier on the list.

David Kwinter