Text-to-Speech

Barry Levine themacguy at mac.com
Mon Apr 15 08:32:01 EDT 2002

Ken,

I was not 100% clear about what the developer was going to do. The sound
files he is going to create are for a relatively simple educational
game. The "sounds" are actual words or phrases and they will be linked
to specific fields containing those specific words or phrases. This
means that what he is doing is not really "text-to-speech" but just
playing pre-existing sound files based upon some programmatical logic.

However, your mom's situation can be addressed using the text-to-speech
external on a Mac. Why not get her a Mac?

Barry
--------------
On Monday, April 15, 2002, at 01:45  AM, use-revolution-
request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> My mom has macular degeneration and can't see the computer screen well
> enough to see her email, which she regularly gets from the family
> members.
> This means she won't get her mail until someone comes and D/L's it and
> reads
> it to her.
>
> I want to write a RR program that imports the email text and reads it
> aloud
> to her. She's used to this sort of thing from using 'Books on tape' and
> can
> probably do it herself if someone can set the computer to run email
> from a
> single key, and the RR program from another key.
>
> If your friend's developer can show us how to make this happen using
> real
> sound files, he may be able to bank a whole lot of moola in a hurry. I'd
> give him $200 right now if he can show me how to make that happen.
>
> Best regards,
> Ken N.
Barry Jay Levine
"The Mac Guy"
Macintosh Troubleshooting, System Engineering, Training,
AppleShare/OSX Server Setup, System Upgrades and Enhancements

On-Site service for K20, Business, Consumer

Phone/VoiceMail: 915-581-1105
             Fax: 915-581-8167
           eMail: themacguy at mac.com

MacOS X: It does. You can. It will.

WindowsXP: Insert wallet into Drive A: Press any key to empty