Quotes Required Around Keys in 2 Dimensional Arrays?

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Apr 14 20:11:01 EDT 2002

I use arrays mostly in CGI's and have found that quotes are required around
the key to pass its value... but this does not appear to be documented..

in the following example, if I don't quote the key "email" inside the
brackets, nothing is returned. But there is no mention of this in the
documentation... is there something I am missing?

## this is the beginning of a script.cgi that processes
## data submitted by an HTML form by POST:

on startUp
 read from stdin until empty
    put  urlDecode (it)  into tDataIn
    split tDataIn by "&" and "="
    put isWellFormedMailtoScheme (tDataIn ["email"]) into emailCheck
    switch emailCheck
      case "False"
      put badEmail(fixYourEmail) into tResponse
      break
      case "True"

etc.

#######

Now in the above example, using (tDataIn[email]) will not work...it passes
empty to the email checker which then breaks.

This is not a big deal (putting quotes around the keys) but it was an
unexpected requirement... other posts I have on the MC list and here don't
use quotes... so, am I doing something wrong?

Hinduism Today

Sivakatirswami
Editor's Assistant/Production Manager
katir at hindu.org
www.HinduismToday.com, www.HimalayanAcademy.com,
www.Gurudeva.org, www.hindu.org

Read The Master Course Lesson of the Day at
http://www.gurudeva.org/lesson.shtml