use-revolution digest, Vol 1 #332 - 13 msgs

David Vaughan drvaughan55 at mac.com
Thu Apr 11 05:32:02 EDT 2002

On Thursday, April 11, 2002, at 06:41 , nedlud at postoffice.pacbell.net
wrote:

> January 22, 1998
> From: Jonathan <nedlud at pacbell.net>
> To: <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
> Rob,
>
> I'm afraid you are mistaken. Seconds are extremely limited. Their limits
> are directly related to the limits of the computer. At the moment this
> means that time starts in the 1970's. So, for example, if you want to do
> common calculations such as generating the age of a person from their
> birthday you are screwed. The same is true for any calculation outside
> of
> the operating systems time window.

Jonathan

Untrue. Try it.
I am older than 32 years so the calculation simply involves my birthday,
pre-1970, being in negative time, which seems perfectlly reasonable to
some :-).

> Furthermore, I suspect that this is
> different on different platforms,
yes. OS X has the UNIX base of 1970 where OS 9 has the Mac base of 1904,
for example, but this does not mean...
> so the problem will not be consistent.
...because the inconsistency is completely immaterial to the arithmetic
on any given platform.

snip
> Also, I believe that Richard Gaskin posted a set of julian functions to
> the metacard list 3 or 4 months ago.
Can we find them readily, or could someone post them here?

regards
David