Revolution Book

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Apr 8 15:35:01 EDT 2002

>Hi,
>
>The only thing that remains an issue for me is the lack of
>printed documentation and / or third party books on the subject. It is clear
>that there are additional sources of information because many of the
>contributors to these lists seem to be extremely knowledgeable about
>transcript and RR in general.  Where did these folks get this information?
>Was it working w MetaCard? Is there some printed documentation
available for
>Metacard?

I learned from working with MetaCard and from participating on the MC
and Rev mailing lists. But I have read many complaints about the
documentation for Revolution and it puzzled me for a long time, because
I think the Rev docs are the most complete and excellent xtalk
documentation I've seen -- equivalent to the "HyperCard, The Book"
manual, which Jeanne also helped to write. What I finally decided was
that people may not really be complaining about the documentation as it
is written, but rather about a lack of knowledge as to how the general
MetaCard/Revolution paradigm works. For people coming from HyperCard,
there are just enough differences to make the switch-over very frustrating.

I think Jeanne has done a terrific job trying to explain the differences
in the docs, and probably the first thing people should look at are the
sections that talk about that. But you are right, there is no real
equivalent to Goodman's book, which was aimed at very new HyperCard
users and which explained a lot of things that both MC and Rev docs take
for granted you already know.

I'm also not surprised that there are no general Revolution programming
books available yet. Revolution is too new for that to have happened
yet, and MetaCard was mostly available only to the Unix community until
a few years ago -- and you know how they don't do docs. :)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com