RR now charging royalties

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Fri Apr 5 14:48:01 EST 2002

Well, it does appear that RR has changed the policy significantly from when
first presented. The whole of which now appears below (taken off the RR
website). My interpretation: It is no longer ever necessary for developers
to purchase an Installation License unless they want added support from
RunRev such as training, enhanced tech support, etc.. This seems to me to be
fair and reasonable.

-Chipp Walters

The Installation License
Who has to pay the Installation License?

We offer a number of custom options including training, enhanced technical
support arrangements, product customization and
more. If you require any of these options, then an Installation License is
required.

What does it cost?

The Installation License can be custom negotiated and will depend partly on
the size of your organization and partly on your specific needs.
If you require an installation license, please contact support at runrev.com to
discuss your requirements.

Why do you have an Installation License?

We have found that the number of developers is a poor reflection of the use
of Revolution in an organization, or to the level of support needed by the
developer. As such the Installation License allows us to charge more and
offer more where it is appropriate. It is aimed at larger organizations who
require extra support, and covers installing runtimes created by a smaller
development team onto many machines in their organization, where that
organization requires enhanced support or other custom services.

I'm a shareware developer / consultant / retail software developer and I'm
going to ship thousands of copies. Do I need a license?

No.

I'm the owner of a previous version of Revolution. How does this license
affect me?

We have special policies for existing customers. Please contact
support at runrev.com