XCMD ? Plugins? what?...

Mark Paris mark at bcesouth.com
Tue Apr 2 09:42:01 EST 2002

XCMD ? Plugins? what?...Greg,

Well, as a revolution user with no prior metacard/hypercard experience, and some VB experience, I can agree with you on a lot of your points.  My main area of development is for the web, so I'm familiar with perl, php, asp, frontier etc.  I'm not sure if an xcmd is akin to an xwing fighter, but I'm guessing it's not.

I think you can find info on writing to/reading from text files in the docs, though not as easily as perhaps it should be, as you state.  As for databases, I'll totally agree, it is cryptic at best.  The valentina engine looks good to me too, but I haven't even attempted it yet.  And I THOUGHT I read that it was included in the latest build of revolution?  Did I imagine that?  Lol.

I'm certainly not bashing revolution or its docs.  It is an AWESOME program.  And I think there are many ways to do certain tasks (such as reading file contents into a variable).  The docs are in their infancy really, and I expect that the dialogues in this list are going to shape them a great deal in the future.  I think it's attracted a lot of seasoned programmers, so the topics are often over my head, but I still read them and pretend I might comprehend them.  Maybe there does need to be some "newbie" documentation, separate from the main docs.  Maybe some of us on the list could put something together like that.  Food for thought.

And speaking of docs, did you see Sivakatirswami's post on CGI's (thanks for that!)  ----   ok, there is no "released" documentation, so how did that information come to be?!  Egads!  Is there an "unreleased" source somewhere?!  Lol.

Anyway, I'm thoroughly enjoying learning from this list and all of it's contributors.

Mark