[Use-revolution] Re: ResetAll, Sockets, and the new FTP

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Tue Nov 27 11:29:00 EST 2001

andu  wrote:

>> In the transcript dictionary "ResetAll" claims to close sockets opened by
>> the FTP function.
>>
>> Are there additional relationships held by the FTP and sockets functions?
>
> Such as?

Such as the questions I went on to detail...

>> Can one use the openSockets function to get information on the current open
>> FTP functions?
>
> OpenSockets() only returns the open sockets regardless of which protocol
> opened them. If you need the status of a download or upload use
> urlStatus() function.

The URLstatus function looks nice, but seems focused on receiving data,
rather than providing information about an upload process. Will it return
any information relating to an upload? Will at least the "contacted" result
return true if a connection is made for upload? Will "error" result if the
server is not found?

>> Does the FTP function automatically close the socket it uses to make the
>
> No, you can reuse a socket opened to the same server. Servers usually
> time-out (close) an unused connection after a while (you get a dialog)
> but the library has an internal timeout-disconnect mechanism which
> closes the socket after 3 minutes of inactivity.
>
>> transfer? If so, does it send any indication of this, or can you use the
>> previously mentioned socket functions to develop monitoring routines for it?

I'm not too clear on this - does an upload which is finished provide any
indication of that status? If the socket does not automatically close when
an upload is done, and URLstatus does not provide an "upload process done",
how would one monitor status of a queued series of uploads? I would ideally
like to restrict the queue to four simultaneous connections, and as
processes finish allow more queued upload functions to take place.

Thanks for any advise.

--
Troy Rollins
RPSystems