[Use-revolution] Re: Was HTML Text Files

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Thu Nov 22 17:33:03 EST 2001

At 7:40 AM -0600 11/22/01, Mark MacKenzie (Shaw) wrote:
>Am I correct in my assumption that a floating pallet stack window cannot
>have an invisible background such that a larger stack beneath shows through?
>This is where I originally went wrong and became confused.

No, you can't (easily) make one window show through another. On the Mac, at least, there is a way to do this that doesn't have anything to do with Revolution. It involves using a special window type, and that's about all I know about it. There used to be a thing called Odo (the shape-shifting character on Star Trek: Deep Space 9) that would do this, and QuickTime 5 has it built in. I don't know how they're doing it.

>Next question:  Is it possible to protect resource media from copiers
>without using the Valentina XCMD and its ability to hold blob references.
>Is this possible within the basic Revolution framework?  Reliable techniques
>to achieve this are of great concern to us and our clients.  Let me hasten
>to add that my usual projects are resource rich and I use file references to
>keep the stacks from bloating beyond reasonable limits.
>
>With iShell I use a companion encrypted database product which handles all
>resource file reference and storage within the encrypted database.  A
>beautiful and fast solution.  (After looking carefully at Valentina I wonder
>if "iPackager" is not based on the main Valentina engine.)

How serious do you want the protection to be? I don't think Revolution cares about the type or extension of a file, so it should be possible to have all the images, sounds, etc., show as generic to the file system. It wouldn't stop someone from importing them to Photoshop, though.

regards,

gc