standalone issues

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Wed Dec 19 11:05:01 EST 2001

Steve,

I have my own queries about the Distribution Builder outstanding; but I can
help a bit on some of your questions.

> Some more detail about this process in the documentation would really be
> appreciated.

I agree - "using the Distribution Builder" would be an excellent topic for
Jeanne to add to the Encyclopedia.

> I would like to make some application icons for windows.  Since I am a Mac
> person I know much about Win Icons.
>
> What are their general dimensions?
32x32 pixels.

I believe always 4 bit (16 colours) but it might be possible to do 256 as
well.   Obviously if you're concerned about users running Windows in 256
colours, you should restrict the palette appropriately.

> What format should the be in?  BMP, GIF, JPEG?

".ico".  On the Mac, you can use Graphic Convertor (shareware, reasonably
priced) to read and write these.  However, if you want to use a mask, note
that GC can read these correctly, but corrupts them on writing (at least the
copy I've got: note to self, must check for an update).  I've yet to find a
Mac app that can do the mask layer correctly - I took mine over to Virtual
PC and used a component of MS Visual Studio to fix this.

  Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
  Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
  http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866