best way to read and write variables?

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Wed Dec 12 11:17:00 EST 2001

At 5:19 PM -0800 12/11/01, Niklas "Almesj–" wrote:
>Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:
>"..Well, no, not really. Can you explain a little
>about why you'd want to
>store the contents of a variable in a separate file?
>What you would
>accomplish by doing this?.."
>
>- I need to specify some settings for a program using
>textfiles, thus the need to read/write variables. But
>at any case I thought it was the only way to store the
>value of variables when a program quits.. Are there
>other ways?
>
>Lorenz wrote:
>
>- XML is nice, but I didnt know Rev handled it?

A running application can't modify and save itself, but you can use an external stack file and then modify and save that however you like. Doing this brings it back as close to the HyperCard model as is possible on PCs and Unix. Many people create an application that is pretty much a splash screen turned into a standalone, and then develop the main body of their application as a separate stack.

Revolution handles XML just fine -- it's just text with a few tagging rules.

regards,

geoff