[MC_IDE] Quick Poll

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Wed Mar 30 18:15:49 CDT 2011

> Shortly after this Monte Goulding was assigned to repair the standalone builder, which he did with great success - maybe using some of my recommendations (I do not know) or along his own lines - obvious to his analytical and practical mind.

OK, I know what you are talking about. Richard this is that slowness when parsing object properties when the stack isn't toplevel. We discussed it a while back on improve in the middle of a data storage request you had. The LiveCode SB has to parse the stack to remove some IDE properties, make sure images etc are moved from libraries and so forth. Wilhelm's test stacks have many thousands of controls on one card and so they are slow. I did resolve the issue but it resulted in stacks flashing up on screen and obviously that wasn't appreciated. I can't remember why I didn't use go invisible but there must have been a reason...

Your test stacks are in my opinion such a unique use case (I'd be interested to see a real app that requires 100000 controls) that it's probably reasonable to ignore it to avoid the visually disturbing flashing up of stacks. The MC SB doesn't or didn't do anything like this so the issue was never present there which leads you to believe there is an issue in the LiveCode SB. It does more and therefore takes more time. Standalone building isn't or at least I don't believe it should be a regular part of your day. Particularly working in MC where the standalone builder doesn't include anything you really only have to build once for each app per engine. So if it takes half an hour go and get a coffee.

As for the protection of the standalone builder I assume RunRev believe it's critical to protect their investment and therefore my investment in my business. As a result when I considered some development I was considering for the GLX framework and I realised it could be used to circumvent LiveCode deployment packs I decided not to implement it. I would be concerned if the MC IDE included unprotected code that could be used in the same way.

My recommendation to anybody working on the MC SB would be to create code that extracted the SB and SB settings from LiveCode and any supporting handlers and insert it into the MC IDE. Obviously there's going to continue to be regular development of deployment options and that seems the only reasonable way to spend your time given the limited number of users and developers of MC.

Cheers

Monte