mcStandaloneBuilder b1 posted

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Sun Jul 3 14:34:53 CDT 2011

Many thanks to Richard and Ken for the release of the new Standalone
Builder and the 4.1 IDE, not to forget the new Metacard Setup 2.01 by
Jacqueline - and I assume that the preparations by Klaus were helpful
for the developments of these tools..

The releases coincided with a palpable improvement of my health after
four months of fighting with a nasty gastritis that caused a lot of
enforced inactivity and reduced my energy and productivity to a large
extent. But last week I have even resumed training with my tennis team,
hopefully to prepare for the second half of the summer series in August
(usually it is colder here than elsewhere).

Although the new releases are actually not the direct cause of my
relatively improved health (as you would also guess from my first report
below), I think that working with the shortly following versions of
Standalone Bulder and the IDE will help me to recover completely in the
near future with an enhanced motivation.

"In the meantime, feel free to post any bug reports you have either here
to or me personally at b... at fourthworld.com

I wouldn't want to overload this list with bug reports, but it may be
helpful to discuss them here where we can all keep apprised of what's
working, what's not, and future directions. Your call."

With his "beta 1"-version Richard has given a differentiated answer to a
situation that has become at least slightly more complex than before
with the required new directory structure for a Metacard folder and the
new license-binding procedures for a standalone two years ago. Before
Rev version 4.0, all I needed to set up a Metacard folder was to drop a
new Revolution engine into the MC IDE and possibly rename the engine, at
least on Windows. To build a standalone, in the Metacard Standalone
Builder I had to find a single file "standalone" (without extension)
instead of the former "MC.exe" - and to prepare for such standalone
building I had copied this single "standalone" file into my Metacard
folder before. I just checked this again inside my Metacard folder 3.5
gm1 with the MC IDE 3.0..

Here are some results and added comments of my first unsystematic
exploration of the B1 version:

I succeeded to build two standalones from my stacks on Windows XP and in
my Metacard folder 4.6.1, but after the succesful build they refuse to
run and only throw an error message "Standalone origin mismatch". After
these two non-running builds I was somehow unable to build more
standalones. There is for example no indication in the Windows pane
which fields are required ones and which optional. One of the questions
here: Should not field "Original Filename" in the Windows tab be
automatically filled from the chosen "Source Stack" selection?

For "LiveCode Folder/Bundle" - in the upper region of the Standalone
Builder - I had first chosen the Livecode "runtime" folder" where the
"standalone" files reside - following in essence the procedure I had
used before in the 3.0 MC IDE, namely locating the necessary file
"standalone".  Instead we apparently need to choose the complete
Livecode folder, but I cannot replicate this now as the Standalone
Builder at the moment refuses to build any stacks, there is even no
error message when I press button "Build".

My proposal is to allow to point to the "runtime" folder only, which
could be copied into the Metacard folder. This would mean that you need
not have both the full Metacard and Livecode installations on the same
computer (for example on a laptop). If the presence of a complete
Livecode folder would be needed, why should we use an extra MC
Standalone Builder?, provided of course the Livecode SB would function
as expected without such peculiarities as it had often shown in the past
like endless build times etc..

I see that "cRevStandaloneSettings" are attached to the source stack
during the build procedure. Looking at them in one of the source stacks
that were built, but refuse to run,
I find (without the full path before):
          "Meta-Livecode 4.6.1" for "_GEN_DestinationFolder"
          "Livecode 4.6.1"         for "_GEN_EngineFolder"
but     "Livecode 4.6"           for "defaultBuildFolder"

i.e. "4.6" instead of "4.6.1". Should this be the cause for the above
quoted error message "Standalone origin mismatch"?

This is all I can report at the moment. I will continue to look more
closely into the matter, but it seems to me we need a first update.

Best regards,

Wilhelm Sanke