MC and Vista 64

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sat Jan 22 22:40:52 CST 2011

> Does MetaCard have something against Vista 64 bit? Ever since I got my
> new machine it's giving me errors for common stuff like writing commands
> in the message box. Is this a known issue? Is there a fix?

The problem is that under 64-bit Vista or Win 7, the "globals" now contains
global names that contain "(x86)" - the parentheses gives the Message Box
(and the Variable Watcher too) fits.

To fix this for the Message Box, create a button on a card and set the
script to:

on mouseUp
  edit script of field "Message  Field" of stack "Message Box"
end mouseUp

and click the button. In the script, in the 'returnInField' handler near the
bottom, there are two lines:

   put the globals into tGlobs
   do "global" && tGlobs & return & ... (etc.)

In between these two lines, insert:

   replace "$ProgramFiles(x86)" with "" in tGlobs
   replace "$CommonProgramFiles(x86)" with "" in tGlobs

Save the script, then execute:

   save stack "Message Box"

You're done!

Ken Ray