Launch url SOLUTION

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Tue May 6 09:37:35 CDT 2008

>Glad you at least found a workaround, but did you ever find out why
>it was needed?
>
>--
>  Richard Gaskin

Not a clue.  In some of the old posts people had mentioned versions
of browsers that were not as compliant, not sure how they explained
it but I'll try...

When you launch the browser, which is Internet Explorer, the top of
the browser window says something like "Internet Explorer provided by
Compaq" or something to that effect.  In other words, sort of like
Compaq added their branding to it.  Somewhere in the old posts I got
the impression that when you have a weird version like this,
sometimes they don't maintain the same compliancy to standard
protocols.  So I wondered if that could be the case.

Rev/MC would actually launch the browser, but the window would come
up empty.  It would not take you to the URL.

I tried it in both Rev and MC straight from the message box, without
anything to complicate it, and both did the same thing.  So my best
guess is that the non-standard browser is cranky.  I tried a boatload
of different URL handlers, from launch, to shell, and others, but
Scott's was the only one that could bully it's way thru.

One thing I've heard over and over thru the years, if you see it
happen (the anomaly) or if even just one or two people email you with
it, you can bet your bottom dollars that there are a lot more people
who will encounter it.  Never assume that it's limited to one or two
people or just you.  The silent majority will likely be off to
somebody else's software and never bother to tell you why.

Shari
--
   Humorous sports t-shirts
   http://www.villagetshirts.com