There's no place like Home

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Aug 23 13:35:38 CDT 2008

David Bovill wrote:
> Hmmm... still failing on OSX - I've tried changing the pList in copied Rev
> bundle - renamed things as stated. Put the Home and help and tools stack at
> the same level for 2.9....

One nice thing about using Jacque's automated setup tool for MC is that
it avoids the one mistake that can easily hose an MC Home stack:  before
attempting to run any MC installation, you must first run and register
your Rev installation.  Without that, any Home stack will be altered in
ways I don't understand but which have made it unusable afterward.

But if you first register Rev before attempting to run MC, you can make
an Home stack you like:  Just name a stack file "mchome.mc", put in
anything you want to have it be your IDE (MC's just launches
"mctools.mc"), and once the engine verifies that it's been successfully
registered it merely looks for "mchome.mc" and opens it, leaving the
details of what happens next entirely up to you.

I think it's worth taking a moment to express kudos for Kevin and the
team for simplifying the creation of other IDEs this way.  The current
method better enforces their own license, while leaving complete freedom
for developers to craft their own environments.  Win-win for all.