Help - Cannot delete a folder

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Aug 4 22:14:27 CDT 2008

Alain Farmer wrote:
> Thanks for your advice, Brian. :)
>
>> If you are really stuck in Transcript land, you could try
>> using shell() to call through to the command-line where
>> things behave like you are accustomed to? If you use "rm"
>> on the command line (UNIX / Linux / MacOS X), there are
>> options to recurse and force delete everything ...
>
> But.. unfortunately.. I'm NOT using a UNIX-based OS. In this case, I'm using a Mac Classic 9.x for my MetaCard work. As you probably know old Mac's don't provide SHELL-access!
>
> OTOH, since MetaCard 2.5 runs on OLD macs, as well as new ones, and provides the "delete folder fPath" syntax, I should still be able to do this, without upgrading to a UNIX-based machine (Mac or otherwise).
>
> Anyone-else want to chip-in some additional information ?  :)

You can get the "detailed files" and the "detailed folders". This will
give you full listings of everything, including hidden items. Then
you'll need to run a loop to walk the directories, deleting all the
files in each file list, and getting the files inside each folder in the
folder list. After that, "delete folder" should work.

I vaguely recall an ancient bug with "delete folder" that has long since
been corrected, but I don't remember if 2.5 has the fix or not. I think
it does. You could test by creating a single empty folder in the finder,
and then seeing if MC will delete it.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com