The Aborted Plunge (Metacard to Revolution)

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Wed May 30 14:35:05 CDT 2007

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Tariel Gogoberidze wrote:

> 1) Wilhelm Sanke wrote excellent stack "SearchDocs XML 2.6.1.mc" a
> while ago.
>
> http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia/Screenshots.htm
>
> Unfortunately it can process only pre vs 7.x Rev documentation (in
> operates on vs 2.6.1 to be precise) but it covers almost all my needs
> and the great strength of this solution is that it finds all instances
> of the search word, even in descriptions and comments. In a way it
> makes instant cross indexing of the whole documentation (Dictionary +
> FAQ + Topics) by given search word.

After the change of the file format of the Rev documentation I was busy
with other things and not sure whether the Rev team would not change the
format again in the near future. Therefore I personally continued to use
my last "Searchdocs" stack, which I still use rather frequently, and
discontinued any effforts to adapt the SearchDocs tools.

I will take a look ar Björnke's stack.

> 2) For the latest docs (Rev 2.8.1) I use a stack from  Björnke
>
> http://bjoernke.com/runrev/stacks.php
>
> Best regards
> Tariel

As a fast script-search tool I have used my private "MCBrowser", which I
did not offer as a public tool as there were other similar or equivalent
tools around (e.g. Klaus Major, Richard Gaskin). I have now put it on my
website for download, inspection, and possible improvement. The stack is
from 2001 with minor bug fixes later and is a really very fast
script-search tool. There maybe some bugs in it, which did not hurt me
much as I used the stack only as a personal tool.
It think it could be easily enhanced to include substacks, but my
present work demands prevent any further development at the moment. From
the description on my website:

"The Metacard version of the above "RevBrowser". It is basically an
enhanced and refined Metacard "Control Browser" with an added
fast-search function that lets you search all scripts of a stack. The
search tool lists all found scripts lines - with the searchstring
colored - along with the addresses of the objects. Clicking on the
object address enables you to edit the respective script. (Stack is from
2001, may have some bugs, and especially is unable to deal with
"unplaced" groups)."

You can get the stack from here:

<http://www.sanke.org/Software/MCBrowser.zip>

or from page "Tools and Samples for Development"

<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia/SamplesTools.htm>

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke