metacard IDE devotees

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Sat Jun 23 10:30:22 CDT 2007

>However, I still like their standalone builder far better than MC's
>(and I know you don't use MC's SB either for many of the same
>reasons.) The way it omits IDE stacks until build time is really a
>good idea, and so is the build-time password protection which is so
>handy I can't imagine not using it any more. The auto plist is good
>too, though I sometimes end up tweaking it later, and the way it
>will add your app icons on any platform without any effort is a big
>plus. There's a lot of stuff in the SB that I find superior to
>MetaCard's. But again, I don't see any reason not to use both IDEs.
>They each have advantages and I don't feel like I have to choose. I
>run both IDEs all the time in tandem. I open stacks in whichever one
>is either not currently in use, or which is more suitable for what
>I'm doing at the moment.

The Standalone builder in Rev is my biggest complaint in Rev.  While
I would LOVE to have the SB remember my settings for each program,
two of the features of the Rev SB make it unusable for me:

1.  That it chokes at my having the Ask/Answer stacks already
embedded (I am working to change this but really don't have the time
or inclination to redo every proggy I have to appease the IDE at this
time).

2.  The password issue.  I keep certain stacks always password
protected.  If someone ever stole my computer or gained access to the
stacks for any reason, at least I know they would have *some*
protection from prying eyes.  I would hate to have to remember at
build time to protect them, if I forgot and sent them out unto the
world naked, I would panic in a big way.

What I do wish an SB would do is:

1.  Remember my settings for each program

2.  On Mac, automatically do all the internal stuff so I wouldn't
have to open the Contents folder at all to rename the engine, do
icons, add stacks, swap pLists, swap that other text file.

Breakfast is calling, must go..........

Shari
--
Windows and Macintosh shareware games