Unix Bsd Standalone on a Mac

Bryan H voyagerbsh at mac.com
Mon Jun 18 18:32:29 CDT 2007

I got a chance to run a few standalones I built today (Monday) on
some Unix machines and they work fine.  So working on either OS X or
OS 9.2 with your stacks and attaching Unix engines to build
standalones for Unix machines is still viable and not a problem
(other than the usual fonts issues, etc) -- thank you Scott Raney et.
all!

With all the different flavors of Unix and shells and so on though,
it can be challenge to know what to expect and how to get things
working. Does anyone know where there is more documentation still
around that is specific to the Unix side?

> I don't think you ever got an answer to this, and to be honest, I'm
> not
> sure myself. But I know that for CGI work, we can't use the native
> unix
> engines on OS X, we need to use a special "Darwin" build. If that's a
> universal requirement, then I'd say you couldn't use BSD standalones
> either and you'll need to find a native machine for testing.
>
> --

Thank you for responding on Darwin. I didn't have any success getting
that to work with line commands through a terminal window so probably
something is up as you suggest. I wonder if I brought up X-Windows
(X11) on the Max through OS X if I could get the BSD Unix standalone
to execute with a double click. If I have the opportunity to get that
up and running sometime I will let you all know if it works. Has
anyone else brought up X-Windows through OS X on their Mac? I have
downloaded it from Apple's web site but have never configured for it
and fired it up.

Again, thanks for the response,

Bryan H