Unix Bsd Standalone on a Mac

Bryan H voyagerbsh at mac.com
Fri Jun 15 20:41:35 CDT 2007

I am attempting to put together a few metacard standalones for some
old Unix machines. It has been some time for me to be working in this
environment and I find myself struggling. Moreover, I have never used
metacard in the Unix environment before so I don't have a good
foundation either.

To get going, I found where to get the Unix engines with the help of
an old posting on this list by J. Landman Gay. Then I used my stack
in OS X to build a few standalone apps using different Unix flavors
for engines. I also went back and did the same thing using OS 9.2
just in case OS X builds have issues.  I used the MetaCard 2.4 build
to do this in both Mac OS's.

Next I attempted to execute the BSD Unix standalone from a terminal
window line command (bash) on my Mac that I opened up. The Unix
system returns a response that it can not execute the binary.

My question is whether it is even possible to get a BSD standalone to
run through a terminal window on a OS X Mac? Perhaps there a trick to
getting the system to recognize it properly as an executable? Or do
have have to boot into a pure Unix system to run the standalone? I
was thinking that I could test things out on my Mac before I went in
to put this on a pure Unix system.

The other question is whether it works to build a standalone on a Mac
with a Unix engine at all. Another words, if I use the Mac platform
to build the standalone, will it work on a Unix machine if I have the
right engine.

Any insights would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan H